Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

I know you've missed me

Disclaimer: while trying to think of a title for this post, all I could think about was this movie.


I'm back from a bit of a hiatus. I moved into my new apartment at school and *shocker* there was no internet or cable for the first week that we were here. Keep in mind that I'm living in the apartments that house the Phi Sigma Pi Honors Fraternity, what I like to affectionately refer to as the fra-nerd-ity. Imagine this situation...a bunch of nerds were without their technology and internet for a full week.

Disaster struck.

Actually it didn't really...I caught up on some reading...kind of.

We played cards.


Went to Wal Mart.

People of WalMart...

Ate some freaking awesome Thai food with the parents. We went to Suko Thai which is literally right down the street from me. I got the Drunken Noodles with vegetables and fried tofu on top. I ate the whole thing.



To attest to the deliciousness of this meal, I was a complete and total grump before we ate. My parents threatened to kick me out of the car. After I consumed the noodles and veggies and tofu I became the most pleasant and grateful 20 year old to walk the streets of Lancaster. My parents will confirm this, just ask them!

Oh wait, you can't ask them today or until the end of the weekend because they are off on their way to Vermont to celebrate their 27th wedding anniversary. It was actually today, 27 years ago, that they got married. Excuse me while I get a little soppy about good ole' Sherry and Bob for a little bit.


My parents met while my mom was in college and my dad was in the Navy. Momma worked at McDonald's, and Daddy walked in one night (belligerent, mind you) with his softball buddies and met Momma. Long story short, they fell in love and got married on June 9th, 1984 in my grandparents backyard.

What my dad looked like when they met...a bit scrawny if you ask me.

That's Momma on the left. She didn't only work at McDonald's. She was a nurse in the Navy too.

I'm always amazed at the love that my parents share. I forget a lot of stuff from my childhood--my brother is the one with the amazing memory--but I don't think I'll ever forget little moments that I've seen my parents share.

I won't forget being told by my dad to clean up the kitchen for my mother, or before she gets home. He is always conscious of what will make her happy.



I won't forget seeing my dad come home and walk up behind my mom, turn her around and start dancing with her. No music, interrupting her dinner preparations, with my brother and I sitting at the table doing homework.



I won't forget the countless Mother's and Father's Days, the anniversaries, the birthdays and holidays, where they never forget to give each other a funny AND romantic card.


One time when we were out to dinner, my dad asked me when I planned to get married so that he could figure out when he would have grand kids. I thought about it and realized my parents were 22 almost 23 when they were married, meaning I would be meeting soon or have already met the man I will marry. At first I felt like the pressure was one.

But then I realized that my parents are just lucky. They found each other and have made it work. They spent most of the first few years of their marriage apart because of my dad being out to on the USS Enterprise. They have worked hard to get to where they are and they've set an incredible example for my brother and I.

I know that we will never settle for anything less than the love that they have shared and will share for the rest of their lives.



Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We love you Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete